Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Current obsessions

Thanks for your kind comments on my bad-mood post. I'm still in my own little blargh-world, but at least outside the sun is shining, right?

This week's excuses for avoiding blogging are:

:: Some much needed home decorating.



We finally painted the baby's room and moved her in early last week. We are all sleeping much better, now that I'm not waking her up with my hacking cough, and she's not keeping us awake with her sleepy mutterings. It's thoroughly predictable, but I had to make her some bunting. It was one of the many projects earmarked for the two weeks after her due date, when I was to be impatient for her to arrive, as all first babies are late, and would need to keep busy. Like so many things involving parenthood and babies, the plan didn't go according to plan. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the bunting, which was super-easy to make, and I look at it obsessively during nursing sessions.

The hen mobile - christened the "dream hen" by her father, she lays eggs that help Moot have sweet dreams - is from Danish Design. We also bought her the swallows mobile, which hangs over her changing table. She has a lot of mobiles.

The bumper around the cot, which I made last year, is still bare. I am procrastinating on that project - I want to applique egg shapes on it, and maybe a hen or two. I need to get some of that double-sided fusible interfacing stuff.

Her room is quite bare at the moment, and while we have some pictures to put up, and a lovely embroidered panel I bought in Mexico a few years ago, I am enjoying the sparseness.

:: More sickness, only this time worse. Moot had a bad cold and a fever. It's the first time she's really been ill, and it was quite sad to see. We were in hospital earlier this week (see next item on the list) and apparently it's a bug that's been doing the rounds.

:: More useless fretting about the baby's weight. She is probably what is considered underweight, and we have regular check-ups in hospital for the purpose of monitoring her, and driving me mad. It's incredibly frustrating - she just doesn't have a big appetite. No matter how much milk or food she is offered, she only takes what she wants, and that seems to be not very much. And she is a perfectly healthy baby. Just small. I hate these appointments, because they turn her weight and food into an "issue", which I really want to avoid. And I worry about her being so small, like any mother would. Anyway, it usually takes about a week, and then I get over it.

:: Stash re-arranging, from a messy corner of the living room to an ottoman and chest of drawers in the bedroom. Now I can read pattern books and finger fabrics from the comfort of my bed. Is that worse than reading cookbooks in bed?

Another obsession of the post title.



I made this dress for her a while ago, her father drew the outline of the duck so I guess it was a collaboration, really. I try not to make her wear it every day, but really, I want her to.

I'm still working on the baby blanket and more cushion covers, but I want to make something for myself next. I am quite obsessed by this pattern from Built By Wendy, and I have the perfect, cheap, fabric in mind, a white cotton with a thin blue check.

Because I am obsessed by tunics. I rarely go into central London these days, so my Top Shop browsing is online - have you noticed that they have a tunic category on their website? Fantastic. That said, I do worry that it isn't reasonable to want to dress like a pregnant woman when you aren't pregnant.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home