Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thrift heaven

Blogger ate my post! I had prepared a lovely post about all my thrift loot, and it went down the tubes. Boo!

Here it goes again. So... Value Village was great. For those of you not familiar with it, it's like a thrift supermarket. Moot was a dream, so I had about two hours to trawl through stuff with my aunt.

First up, a sweet dress for the babe to grow into. It has a label on the inside saying it was hand-made for me by a Clair McKinnes. Thank you Clair.



Next, a couple of cute tops for next summer.



Then, a green hand-knitted jacket.



I had real trouble in the sweater aisle. It was packed with beautifully knitted jumpers and cardigans, in pristine condition, all of them knitted in hideous polyester yarns in colours of questionable suitability. Fluorescent canary yellow, sparkly baby blue... Even the one I bought is borderline, it's a rather virulent green. Why why why? All those hours of work, all that knitting skill, to end up with something nobody wants to put on their baby, and so they give it to Val's and these well-meaning gifts end up languishing there until the staff get bored of looking at them and they disappear. Sigh. I wanted to buy them all to give them good homes.

Moving on to linens, I got this lovely tablecloth. At first, I wanted it for the fabric, which reminds me of a Kaffe Fasset print, but I have since thought better of it, and a tablecloth it shall remain.



Some linen hankies with beautifully delicate hand embroidery.



A couple of placemats with crochet edges. (As if we used placemats...)



A lace pillow case and a doilly-type thing with crochet edges which I might make into a pillow case.



Some great books - a Christmas story with lovely illustrations, a how-to on gingerbread houses (after just boring my husband with how great it was as a kid when my mother made them) - and a pattern for Ragedy Ann and Ragedy Andy dolls.



And a Christmas apron, probably for my mother-in-law, who's bravely taking on my mother and step-father for the holiday.



I made a brief visit to the Salvation Army thrift store, but only had the energy to nose around the craft section, and I picked up some rickrack, bias tape and lots of fabric self-cover buttons, which I am stoked about as I have wanted some for ages.



Finally, I got to trawl through my grandmother's craft room, and steal whichever bits of fabric scraps I wanted. So I did.



I've got a list of craft projects so long I can't remember them all. I want to get round to making a cot bumper for Moot, so we can move her into the cot, as her crib is a bit tight for her. Also, since I'm not working, I'm going to make lots of Christmas presents out of bits and pieces I have. Better get cracking.

But all I really want to do is eat cake. And sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

Gaaaaarrgghhh and there was me getting all excited for a minute thinking that this thrifty heaven was in London...

11:19 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Those dresses and tops are gorgeous and a trawl through your grandmothers craft room - lucky you!

8:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home