Monday, October 30, 2006

Handsome hand-me-downs

I love hand-me-downs. The gentle wear and tear. The old-school charm of 1970s baby clothes. The passing on of much-loved favourites. Some of Moot's most beautiful clothes are hand-me-downs, from fancy Petit Bateau tops to bobbly old sweaters. I get a kick from feeling thrifty, too.

We were recently given some baby clothes worn by Moot's dad and his sister.

First off is a cute barboteuse - I know what it is called in French, but not in English, but I like the French word for this kind of outfit, because it makes me think of babies puttering around with their toys.



Then there is this beautiful romper, with smocking and delicate hand-embroidered mushrooms.





Finally, a pair of overalls made from a cloth kit. I grew up in Canada, and had never heard of cloth kits before, although my mother used to make clothes for my sister and me. I love, love, love the print.



And the apple patch on the bum is irresistible.


Why don't they make these any more?

One day I'll post about the baby clothes my sister and I wore, that I have carefully packed away for Moot - among them, the outfit we wore on our first birthdays, the Israeli party dress and the Spanish lederhosen... No, really, it's super-cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home