Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Labour of love





More than 200 hours of work went into making this quilt, most of it my grandmother's. She's been a member of the same quilting group for 20 years, and they all help each other make quilts for family members and for charity.

Can you believe it, although I chose this pattern, a Dresden plate, I was disappointed with it when I first got it. In my defense, I was 16 - what did I know? I thought it was a bit boring. But I soon realised how fabulous it is. For years, I've been too scared to have it on the bed, in case it got damaged, and to my shame, it's been carefully stored away rather than displayed for all to admire. Many of the fabrics are scraps from clothes I wore, or my parents wore.

Yesterday, we got some dowelling, and as soon as I sew loops on the back of it, it's going up on the wall.

Some close-ups.











Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

That quilt is stunning - lovely bright colours and a great design. Such a lovely keepsake to pass on to Moot one day!

2:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home