Friday, November 30, 2007

Reluctantly acknowledging Christmas

I was looking for some easy crafting satisfaction a couple of nights ago, at which point I remembered something I had told myself I would definitely, absolutely do this year.



A giant hankie for everyone in my family! Ha! No, not really.



It's a furoshiki. I don't want to sound Japan-obsessed, but it's a traditional Japanese wrapping cloth. I first read about them on a blog a couple of years ago, so apologies if you've seen them before.

I think they're a lovely way of avoiding using wrapping paper while simultaneously ridding yourself of quantities of fabric you don't know what to do with and don't like so much anymore. That said, I do like the fabric I used for this one, from Rowan, bought at a Liberty sale.



I made it 27"x27", sort of. It's a bit wonky because I wasn't too precise in my measuring or sewing, but that doesn't make much difference to the wrapping. They traditionally come in two sizes, but I think you could make them any size you wanted.



You can see some of the different ways of folding them here, which would also make a lovely poster, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home