Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where I join the in-crowd



Debbie Bliss matinee coat, size 9-12 months, from Baby Cashmerino 2. Grey grosgrain ribbon.

A mere inch or so of yarn left at the end. Started months and months ago, but still big enough to fit a titchy 20-month-old - so she does design for giant babies - except said 20-month-old refuses wear it. Also, it's quite wide in the back, and/or Moot is quite narrow, so the neck opening is a bit floppy, so I might seam it shut by a few centimetres on each side.

I had a long-overdue haircut over the weekend. I thought I would bite the bullet and get a fringe/bangs. As I sat in the chair at the hairdressers, I remembered quite suddenly why I had avoided fringes for close to two decades - I had a fringe for most of my childhood, and it was too short and I looked terrible and I had glasses and I was a geek and none of the boys liked me.



Oh well. I really like it now. Except on leaving the salon, I seem to have walked into a parallel world where almost everyone has a fringe. The teenage girls on the street, half-a-dozen other mothers at playgroup today, the woman who shares my childminder. It's the other side of the haircut looking glass.

The poster on the wall in the background is a composite of drawings from Penguin Dreams, a book illustrated by J Otto Walsh. He's pretty unheard of in the UK, I think, but when we first looked at our house when it came up for sale, the then-owners had the same poster in that spot. So when we moved in, the first thing we did was hang our copy there.

Finally, I leave you with a nice window in a house a couple of streets over. I know lace curtains have had their day in the trend sun, but I like the idea of using a whole tablecloth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kellie H said...

Such a lovely coat!! ...Love the color.
My daughter, Avery, is 20 months too!

7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home